Social Justice for Immigrants
Almost 50,000 children are currently being held in disease-ridden, filthy facilities as prisoners. They are fleeing unbearable violence from drug cartels in their home countries. They do not need to be sent back to this violence, nor do they need to be treated as criminals. They are refugees. Sending them back to these countries should not be an option. Continuing to imprison them is a tragedy and a stain upon American integrity and honor. If you would like to sign a petition to ask our representative to stop this action click HERE!
You can notify Sheriff Greg Hamilton that you do not want our elected officials to support the dubious practice of ‘detaining’ immigrants based on requests from ICE.
1. Select “Sample Letter 1” and “Sample Letter 2”. Sample Letter #1 is better if you’re not a resident of Travis County. (Sample letters below)
2. Choose a letter with which you’re more comfortable, insert current date, and type your name on the bottom so that your signature will fit above.
3. Save your letter on your computer as a “word.doc”.
4. Print out the letter. Sign your signature.
5. Mail your letter to:
Sheriff Greg Hamilton
5555 Airport Blvd.
Austin, TX 78751
6. If possible, send a short email to all of the Travis County Commissioners, attaching the “word.doc”, stating that you don’t agree with ICE “detainers”, and have mailed the attached letter to Sheriff Hamilton. Email addresses of the Commissioners are listed below.
You certainly may change or hand-write the letter to suit your comfort. The important thing is that we send Sheriff Hamilton as many letters as possible. We hope to exert “pressure” on Sheriff Hamilton to stop cooperating with ICE “detainers”. Many other groups have also sent many letters. These include Austin Immigrant Rights Coalition, Texas Civil Rights Project, Grassroots Leadership, Texas Civic Engagement Table, University Leadership Initiative, and many local religious organizations.
Also you might be interested in signing an online petition from Grassroots Leadership. They will be delivering this petition to City Council and County Commission in the coming weeks - http://grassrootsleadership.org/not1more-travis-county-sign-petition-get-s-comm-and-ice-out-austin-now
Any questions or concerns, email Ed Kopas - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Overture Non-sexist Language
Allowing congregations to use non-sexist language in any or all aspects of the church’s life
A Few of Our Past Events
to Promote Social Justice:
Watch presentations by the following speakers:
Social Justice Speakers:
Speech by James Galbraith
Speech by Robert McChesney
Work for Social Justice at Home:
Buy Fair Trade Goods
When you buy Fair Trade goods, you help farmers and other local producers earn a fairer share of income. In the kitchen at St. Andrew’s, we serve only Fair Trade coffee from Texas Coffee Traders. But check many local suppliers to see their wide selection of gourmet coffees that are Fair Trade Certified.
Equal Exchange is one of these companies that works with small farmer cooperatives in Latin America, Africa, and Asia. In addition to offering their partners a fairer price, Equal Exchange helps them get credit, offers them technical support, and provides a trading partner they can trust.
Equal Exchange offers many Fair Trade items— check out their selection of teas, chocolates, cocoa, clothing, and other goods. All goods offered by Equal Exchange are traded fairly.
Social Justice in Action
With the Texas State Legislature in session, there’s a lot going on at the Capitol regarding Social Justice. Here are some local websites that provide action information and upcoming events:
- Equality Texas www.equalitytexas.org/
Workers’ Rights/Immigration Policy:
- Workers Defense Project: www.workersdefense.org
- Grassroots Leadership www.grassrootsleadership.org/
- Reform Immigration for Texas Alliance (RITA) www.reformimmigrationfortexas.org
Election Campaign Finance Reform:
Prison Reform & Capital Punishment Reform:
Healthcare Access/Medicaid Expansion:
- Center for Public Policy Priorities: www.forabettertexas.org
- Texas Impact: www.texasimpact.org
- The Arc of Texas: www.thearcoftexas.org (Rights of people with disabilities)
- Women’s Healthcare Coalition: www.texaswhc.org
- Planned Parenthood of Texas, Inc.: www.plannedparenthood.org/greater-texas
- Alliance for a Clean Texas: www.acttexas.org
- Texas Impact: www.texasimpact.org
- Climate Buddies www.climatebuddies.org